Vitamix and Smoothies
I make smoothies almost daily. The Vitamix is an amazing machine – I put large frozen fruits in and they beautifully get pulverized! The smoothies come out with the right texture. And the machine is effectively self-cleaning. And you can even make boiling hot soups because the machine is so darn powerful!
I’m often asked how I make my smoothies, so here is the smoothie I make most often:
- Half cup of water
- Sometimes coconut water or milk or other kinds of milk
- Non-fat plain yogurt
- I no longer use greek yogurt because of taste. And normal yogurt has almost as much protein.
- Chia seeds
- A lot of spinach and/or baby kale.
- It is critical to not put a leafy green’s spine in the smoothie. The smoothie’s texture will simply not come out right!
- Normally my blender is full at this point, so I do a first blend
- Cinnamon powder and turmeric powder
- Frozen blueberries
- Frozen pineapple
- Frozen cherries
- Used primarily to fix the color that naturally occurs when mixing leafy greens with blueberries
- Choice of the following, based on whims of the day
- Frozen peach
- Frozen mango (not too much, unless you’re aiming for mango lassi texture)
- Frozen fig from Trader Joe’s (be careful – this will make the smoothie thicker!)
- Fresh or frozen watermelon
- Fresh or frozen seedless grapes
I also occasionally use other fruits and greens including apple, pear, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, kiwi, orange, avocado, chard. I have also used ginger, garlic (yes, garlic!), green tea matcha, and pomegranate juice.
I don’t use ice because the frozen fruits make the smoothie already quite cold.